Day 8 of our #PlantPoweredProtein series brings us to black beans. Black beans are another food that I genuinely love because of their versatility in recipes. From black bean burgers to soups to stews to brownies (yes, brownies!), I love how easy black beans are to cook with, and their extremely mild flavor make them a great addition to almost any recipe. A few other reasons to consider adding black beans into your diet:
- Protein: A 1 cup serving of black beans gives us 15 grams of protein or ~30% of our recommended daily intake.
- Fiber: A 1 cup serving of black beans also gives us 15 grams of fiber, providing more than 50% of the recommended daily intake! Due to their high fiber content, black beans are filling, but their combination of complex carbohydrates and protein also helps fill us up. As Dr. Axe puts it, “The macronutrients found in beans, including fiber, work together to give us a feeling of satiety after eating.”
- Aiding in digestive issues: With their high levels of fiber and protein, black beans are great at helping regulate our digestive systems by helping food move through the digestive tract. They also take longer for our bodies to digest than meat, leaving us fuller, longer. Lastly, because they’re smaller in size as compared to other beans, they’re more likely to be easier to digest.
- Blood sugar control: Because black beans are relatively easy to digest and take our bodies longer to digest, they’re also great a helping us regulate our blood sugar levels, making it less likely that our blood sugar will peak and then crash.
- Improved heart heat: Black beans reduce inflammation and are exceptionally high in soluble fiber, which helps flight heart disease. As fiber removes waste from the body, it helps to reduce inflammation, keeping arteries clear from the build up of dangerous plague.
If you’re like me and love Chipotle, I always enjoy trying to recreate their burrito bowls at home. So today, we’re going to do just that! This is an adaptation of FabLunch’s DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowl.
Cilantro lime Rice:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBS lime juice
- 1 can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Fresh salsa (whatever your favorite may be)
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Before water starts to boil, add salt. Once rice is cooked, placed into a large mixing bowl and add lime juice and cilantro. Mix well.
- Combine all ingredients for garlic beans in small pot over medium heat for five minutes.
- Slice peppers and onion into strips.
- Add olive oil to skillet. Once oil begins to shimmer, add onions and sauté over medium – high heat for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add peppers to onions and cook for additional five minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and continue to cook until vegetables are soft.
- For serving, divide rice, beans and veggies into two servings and top with desired toppings!
What are your favorite ways to incorporate black beans into your diet?